2019 Costa Rica Southern Sky Party
Why do stargazers travel to Costa Rica?
For the same reasons travelers from around the globe journey to this Central American paradise: the inviting tropical climate, spectacular natural scenery, abundant wildlife and friendly, hospitable people.
- Just a 2.5-hour flight from Miami
- Enjoy 5 uninterrupted evenings of private, southern sky stargazing from the grounds of our Star Lodge
- Daily morning and afternoon birding and nature walks with an expert guide
- Leave it all behind – a relaxed atmosphere with no telephone, television or in-room WiFi
- Special included day excursion to the Scarlet Macaw Sanctuary
- A special birding opportunity and Boat Tour through the Abangares River Mangrove
- An opportunity to enjoy superb views of the southern night sky – exploring the Southern Cross, the Carina Nebula, Omega Centauri, and the countless Milky Way gems found in Scorpius and Sagittarius.
Join us as we carry on a great tradition: our 16th annual Costa Rica Southern Sky Party, February 27 – March 6, 2019, comfortably based at our private Star Lodge and National Wildlife Refuge on the Gulf of Nicoya.
A Perfect Southern Vantage Point
Our Costa Rica adventure is timed to coincide with both the new Moon and the driest time of year in the western part of the country. This best ensures the greatest possible number of clear, star-filled nights – on a grassy open area of the lodge property that offers unobstructed views of the southern horizon.
At 10° N, our Costa Rican viewing site is 15° farther south than the Florida Keys and even more southerly – by 10° – than the Big Island of Hawaii. Many astronomical highlights that hug the horizon in these popular stargazing locales are 10° to 15° higher in Costa Rica’s southern sky.
Attractively Close to Home
Costa Rica is also a wonderfully accessible destination. Just a 2.5-hour flight from Miami, it’s in the Central time zone, so there’s no grueling flight to endure and no tiresome jet lag to get over before you begin enjoying yourself.
All of our comfortable cabinas face the Gulf, with a bathroom, hot water, closet and spacious terrace inclusive of a hammock, which all ensure a relaxed, carefree stay – right down to the convenience of North American standard AC power (120 volts, 60 Hz) in your room, so you never have to worry about keeping your gear charged.
A tropical climate, excellent southern-sky views, great accommodations and the company of easygoing, like-minded travelers – what more could you ask of an astronomical adventure that’s remarkably close to home?
Join us and discover the wonders of Costa Rica and the riches of the southern night sky!